Friday, February 5, 2010

Nine Months

Dear Riley,

The last time I wrote here I had proudly proclaimed to Daddy that my new goal was to write to you twice a week. So far that has been a miserable failure, so here goes a second attempt, with gusto!
Since my absence, you have officially turned nine months old. That means, little girl, that you have been wreaking havoc on our lives for the last year and a half, and we wouldn't have it any other way. Your 9 month check up was on Monday, and Dr. Morano commented on how cute you are and how healthy you are and how strong you are. There was a moment right after we got there that I sat in the waiting room reflecting on the reasons we'd been there in the last 9 months- your 48 hour check up, 2 week check up, 2 month, 6 month check up, ear infection, thrush, and then your 9 month check up. You don't seem to mind going there, this time, you only got one shot and didn't actually cry much at all. Your weight and height are right in the 50th percentile and your head has made a fantastic jump from the 50th percentile to the 95th! Yes! I was so proud- they were a little alarmed but I assured them that large heads run in our family.
You are full of adventure these days- climbing onto the couch from the floor- which you have mastered, escaping from the barricade we set for you to keep you in the living room and racing into the kitchen to open the cupboard doors, not to get anything out of them, but just to open and close them repeatedly. Daddy threw you for a loop when last weekend he started baby proofing them- however, he got the one that you ALWAYS go to, but not the one next to it, and as soon as you realized that, you didn't skip a beat and just went to the one next to it and proceeded to open and close that door. There's something to be said for your uncanny stubbornness and resilience- you get that from me. You're welcome.
Perfect example of your stubbornness- I got a "snack catcher" at Target the other day designed to prevent you from spilling cheerios all over the floor. The package it came in said that it was meant for 12 months and up. I put some cheerios in it and put it on the floor with you- about 3 minutes later you had it figured out. So much for the manufacturer's recommendation of 12 months and up.
One of my friends was commenting to me this week about how it just pours out of you how much you are loved. It touched me more than she will ever realize, because I don't know that I even comprehend how much you are loved. There are more days than not that Daddy and I will look at you and say to each other "we made her....how did we do that....she's the most amazing little thing." And you respond to by looking at him and then looking at me and then beaming at us with the most beautiful smile I've ever seen and your eyes seem to say that you have won the mom and dad lottery, no matter what anybody else thinks, you in fact have the best parents in the world. The adventures you have taken us on in the last year and a half are amazing, so amazing, in fact that I cannot imagine what the next years will hold.
Love you as big as the mess you made with markers all over yourself tonight,
Momma

0 comments:

Post a Comment