Friday, April 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Riley

Dear  Riley,
At 3:20 PM today I cried. I hugged your Daddy and I didn't even attempt to contain the emotion I was feeling at the fact that we had survived and thrived during what was a tumultuous but rewarding last year with you in our lives. And I hugged you and thought about everything that you have learned in the last year and everything you have taught us in the last year- about true, unconditional, unwavering love, and how to make someone feel as though they won the lottery just by looking at them. You are the most stubborn force that I have encountered, and perhaps there are times that you aggravate me because there is so much of you in me. You might look like your Daddy, but you act like your Momma.
I am in awe of you, my dear. Of your determination, and your stubbornness, and your explorations that never cease, and your inventiveness, and your huge smile and the way that you reach for me that could launch a thousand ships. Your little half laugh, your obsessive personality when it comes to pacifiers, your ability to turn a day 180 degrees in one direction or the other. I love you for all those things and three hundred million more reasons that I haven't yet discovered. I can't wait to explore the next year of the world with you.
I love you, even more now than I did a year ago,
Momma

0 comments:

Post a Comment